Mailable tobacco products:
• Pipe tobacco
The Postal Service cannot accept or transport any package that it knows to contain nonmailable smokeless tobacco or cigarettes.
Nonmailable tobacco products include:
• Cigarettes, including roll your own cigarettes
• Smokeless tobacco, including chewing tobacco and snuff
• Loose tobacco intended for use in roll your own cigarettes
EXCEPTIONS: nonmailable tobacco products can be permitted in the mail if they fit in one of the following:
• Alaska/Hawaii: Shipments must both originate and be delivered within Alaska or Hawaii (See Pub 52, 472.21 for restrictions)
• The mailers below must be approved by PCSC and provide the approval letter prior to mailing - go to any of the links provided below for more details.
• Business/Regulatory Purposes: Shipments transmitted between verified and authorized tobacco industry businesses for business purposes, or between such businesses and federal or state agencies for regulatory purposes (mailers must apply and be approved prior to mailing)
• Consumer Testing/Public Health: Shipments of cigarettes sent by verified and authorized manufacturers to verified adult smokers age 21 and over for consumer testing purposes, and shipments sent by federal agencies to consumers for public health purposes (mailers must apply and be approved prior to mailing)
• Certain Individuals: Infrequent, lightweight shipments mailed by age-verified adult individuals, including some shipments to individuals with APO/FPO/DPO destination addresses (See Pub 52, 472.23 for restrictions)
What Postal employees need to know to comply with the EXCEPTIONS?
With the exception of shipments entirely within Alaska and Hawaii, or to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, all domestic EXCEPTED shipments (must be sent via the following options:
1. Priority Mail Express, Hold For Pickup.
2. Priority Mail Express with Adult Signature Required or Adult Signature Restricted Delivery (only Adult Signature Restricted Delivery permitted for the “Consumer Testing” exception). Available for online and commercial customers only, however, mailings must be presented to a postal employee at the post office.
3. Priority Mail with Adult Signature Required or Adult Signature Restricted Delivery (Adult Signature Restricted Delivery only for the “Consumer Testing” exception – see Pub 52, 472.242 for other details). Available for online and commercial customers only; however, mailings must be presented to a postal employee at the post office.
For shipments from the United States to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, mailers must use Priority Mail Express, Military Service (EMMS) or Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation to their desired destination.